Associate Director, Marketing & Communications (Part-Time)
New York City
We're looking for an Associate Director to join ITHAKA’s Marketing & Communications (M&C) team. This is a part-time (24 hours), benefit eligible position and would be ideal for someone already consulting or re-entering the job market that wants to make an important impact in the understanding and use of digital technology for higher education. The Associate Director will be responsible for the planning, development, and execution of marketing and communications activities for Ithaka S+R, a research and consulting service that helps academic, cultural, and publishing organizations thrive in the digital environment. Our work centers on understanding the implications of digital technologies for higher education and focuses broadly on five areas: online teaching and learning, sustainability of digital projects and products, librarianship, publishing, and the scholarly practices of academics.
What we do.
ITHAKA (www.ithaka.org) is a not-for-profit organization dedicated to helping the academic community use digital technology to preserve the scholarly record and to advance research and teaching in sustainable ways. ITHAKA provides innovative services that benefit higher education including JSTOR, Portico, and Ithaka S+R. ITHAKA’s Marketing & Communications team is responsible for creating meaningful experiences for users of ITHAKA services and growing that user base through innovative campaigns, poignant cross-channel communications, and new products and offerings. The team comprises individuals who are passionate about marketing, research, design, and technology, and who believe that collaboration, communication, and a healthy dose of fun are the tenets of success.
What you’ll do.
The Associate Director will be responsible for developing and leading the execution of marketing plans for IS+R and its five major program areas to build awareness of our expertise, grow our relationships within the academic community, and to ensure the highest possible impact of our research and our services. This includes serving as a project manager within M&C to ensure all aspects of the marketing plans are coordinated and completed in a timely manner. This person will also collaborate with funder and partner organizations to market shared projects or agendas. This position reports to the VP, Marketing & Communications and works closely with the creative and other teams within the Marketing & Communications unit.
Additionally, the Associate Director will:
· Develop the marketing strategy and plans for the launch of new services such as our forthcoming Sustainability Training Program
· Manage and produce, or guide the production of content, for all communications outlets, including our web and social media channels (blog, twitter, etc.)
· Develop and contribute to the execution of plans to grow and build our relationships with our constituents including list building and relationship management.
· Conduct periodic landscape reviews for IS+R overall and specific services as needed
· Assist in setting parameters for contact management, including data collections about contacts, to ensure high-quality and impactful marketing campaign execution
The ideal person for this position will possess the following:
· Has knowledge of and deep interest in the academic landscape and the issues we are working on – this person is curious and well-versed in what’s happening across our sector
· Understands the outlets for our work very well and has good instincts about the ways to have the biggest impact
· Works quickly and delivers excellence on highly time-sensitive projects and deadlines
· Is adaptable to changes and develops strategies to deal with challenges
· Is a fantastic collaborator, team player, and communicator
· Makes meaningful contributions to the work and direction of projects, and is highly aware and sensitive to important, controversial issues and perspectives of various constituencies
· Takes responsibility for key aspects of projects and runs with them; a high-degree of initiative
· Can readily see the connections among our work and develop broader messages and tactics to drive them into the community
· Is a great sounding board – people on the team want to collaborate because the outcomes will be better because the person is involved
· 7 - 10 years experience in marketing with demonstrated success, with particular strengths in writing, public relations and working with traditional and social media
· Bachelor’s Degree
Work for us.
Talented individuals will be rewarded with excellent career development and a fantastic benefits package which includes:
· Choice of two medical plans, one at no cost to the employee
· Employer paid dental, vision, life insurance, and employee assistance programs
· Employer contributed retirement …and much, much more
If you are ready to join a fun, fast-paced, and passionate environment dedicated to making a difference, please email your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to:
ITHAKA is an equal opportunity employer.