A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the country’s oldest and largest nonprofit study abroad and intercultural exchange organization. Since 1947, CIEE has helped thousands
of people gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world by offering the most comprehensive, relevant, and valuable exchange programs available. CIEE operates 67 study centers in 45 countries
that support more than 286 study abroad programs for 10,000-plus students from 340 U.S. colleges and universities annually. In 2015, CIEE launched its innovative Open Campus model – an affordable, flexible academic programming option that allows students to
design their ideal international experience in multiple locations during one semester – at CIEE Global Institutes in Berlin, London, Paris, and Rome. As the largest sponsor for U.S. Department of State J-1 Visa programs, CIEE also helps nearly 40,000 international
students participate in U.S.-based exchange programs each year. CIEE programs and services span study abroad, teach abroad, international faculty training, and various specialty and custom programs for secondary, post-secondary, and international students.
Summary of Position:
The Assistant Controller is responsible for managing, reviewing and overseeing the accounting operations and processes for CIEE, Inc.
In this key leadership role, you will:
- Oversee the monthly close of the general ledger and preparation of internalfinancial statements.
- Manage the Accounting team, supervising and developing the Accounting staffmembers
- Evaluate and make appropriate improvements to internal accounting processesensuring that practices are
in line with the overall goals of the organization.
- Ensure internal controls and efficient accounting processes are implemented andcommunicated globally across
- Work closely with the Financial Planning & Analysis team, understandingforecasts and budgets and the reporting
of financial results.
Act as key business lead for the company’s ERP financial system (NetSuite).
Coordinate and prepare audit schedules for
annual external audit and
interact with outside auditors as needed.
- Ensure the timely and accurate completion of the monthly closing process.
Review journal entries and backup from accountants; verify correct accounting processes.
Work with accountants to resolve any issues concerning journal entries and provide guidance to the supported businesses on entries that may be needed.
Ensure all journal entries are approved, filed and retained as backup for audits.
- Account reconciliations - Ensure all balance sheet accounts are reconciled in a timely manner.
Drive continuous improvement of the reconciliation process.
Ensure that reported financial results comply with GAAP and accounting regulations.
- Develop a strong working relationship with the Financial Planning & Analysis team and an understanding of the forecasting and budgeting process.
Communicate accounting treatment regarding items included in the budget.
- Productivity and professional expertise -
Research and implement complex accounting policy. Act as a resource for accounting policies and guidelines for business. Drive continuous improvement across all general accounting processes.
- Management - Exemplify overall Corporate Accounting vision and General Accounting mission to team of professional accountants.
Provide resources, coaching and support to accountants to help them achieve their responsibilities and goals.
- Supervise staff preparation of audit
workpapers, coordinate submission of workpapers and other PBC items, and respond to all auditor inquiries and requests.
Knowledge & Skill Requirements:
- CPA with Bachelor's degree in Accounting
- Minimum 5 years of experience in the field
- Minimum 2 years in a managerial role
- Technical skills and experience in financial reporting, consolidation accounting and foreign currency accounting
- Strong computer and process analysis/problem solving/analytical skills, including the use of Microsoft Excel and Word and ERP financial systems (NetSuite experience a plus)
- Must be a team player, who can motivate and inspire their team, while remaining calm and professional at all times
- Must be able to adhere to deadlines and keep others on track
- Good listening and communication skills are a must
Due to federal regulations a background check will be conducted as a condition of employment.
- CIEE strives to lead a robust community of international program providers and sponsors through innovation, exemplary service, and exceptional efficiency. Our success depends on having the very best professionals. We are committed to recruiting and retaining
the best people in the industry, particularly those who are passionate about international education, are self-starters with high levels of energy and autonomy, and are dedicated to exceed expectations in every challenge. We foster excellence through tapping
the skills of a diverse workforce and promoting a dynamic environment where talented individuals of differing perspectives and cultural backgrounds work together to advance our mission. CIEE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications by ethnically diverse
and underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.
||Send This Job to a Friend