||Director, International Sales, High School Study USA
A nonprofit, non-governmental organization, CIEE is the world leader in international education and exchange. For 70 years CIEE has been committed to bringing the world together through meaningful international exchange programs to help humanize international
relations – all students, all nations. Driven by this purpose, CIEE has helped thousands of people gain the knowledge and skills necessary to live and work in a globally interdependent and culturally diverse world by offering the most comprehensive, relevant,
and valuable exchange programs available. Serving over 400 U.S. College and University consortium members, CIEE operates sixty-five study centers in forty-five countries that support study abroad programs for over 10,000 students annually. In addition, as
the largest sponsor for U.S. Department of State J-1 Visa programs, CIEE helps nearly 30,000 international students participate in U.S. based exchange programs annually. CIEE programs and services span study abroad, teach abroad, international faculty development
seminars, and inbound exchange study, work, and internship programs for today’s high school and university students, professionals, and educators.
Summary of Position:
CIEE is seeking a dynamic professional with a proven sales record to serve as the Director, International Sales of CIEE’s growing inbound High School programs. Reporting to the Senior Director, External Relations, this individual will be responsible for
developing a dynamic and results-oriented sales and marketing strategy in our high school markets worldwide. The International Sales Director will lead a team of six to meet and exceed recruitment targets, as well as maintain and establish CIEE as the leading
sponsor and provider of J1 cultural exchange programs and F1 study programs.
This is an exciting opportunity for an entrepreneurial individual to develop CIEE as a market leader in high school sales worldwide. The incumbent will have strong skills in sales, business development, relationship development, marketing and staff management,
with focused experience and a deep understanding of the high school sales market, for both F1 and J1 inbound programs. This individual will be flexible, creative, and have the ability to assess and evaluate markets, as well as determine and change direction
depending on the needs of the program. This individual will also need to tailor sales strategies for each market in response to shifts in the markets. Most importantly, this person will be driven by results and possess an unrelenting motivation and energy
to reach targets through successful team management and accountability, overall strategic vision, professionalism, and the ability to make decisions and guide direction towards a sustainable and strong future direction of the high school programs.
In collaboration with other teams at CIEE and drawing on personal networks and external sources, the Director will engage in continual analysis of the high school student trends and develop marketing strategies that are customized to each region, agent,
and market. In addition, s/he will be responsible for achieving annual program sales goals and long-term business development objectives for all F-1 products, J-1 HS products, and any new programs developed to augment the high school exchange or study experience.
- Cultivate a performance-oriented culture, which positions CIEE to become one of the leading B2B sales organizations in the F-1 and J-1 high school market.
- Ensure focus on key metrics, translate goals into actionable business plans on a strategic and operational level, as well as hold people accountable for assigned responsibilities.
- Stay current with industry trends, analyze competitors, assess and evaluate each market for strengths and weaknesses; provide market data and trends to the senior team, as well as use data to determine strategy.
- Train team of International Sales Consultants (ISCs) on: effective selling strategies; polished and professional presentations; relationship building and loyalty; cultivating, managing and working with a pipeline.
- Educate team, agents, and prospective students and families on the American education system and the value of a CIEE program in their educational journey.
- Travel extensively internationally to manage, develop, and motivate a remote international sales team; meet with prospective agents; attend student-facing or CIEE sponsored events.
- Oversee the development of each ISC’s strategic plan for a given market and hold ISCs accountable to goals; determine individual and team goals. Lead the team to cross sell high school products, launch new add-on programs, and cease opportunities.
- Develop ways to differentiate CIEE in the market.
- Consider new recruitment avenues including working directly with in-country schools and direct student enrollments.
- Provide accurate and timely sales and financial reporting as directed by senior management.
- Work with the CIEE marketing department to create program collateral, websites, and other materials for prospective/current international representatives and students.
- Organize student-facing events, including road shows.
- Leverage alumni and schools, strengthen agent partnerships, and drive sales.
- Work collaboratively with the enrollment team to develop structures and processes that ensure fast review of applications and quick placements.
- Advocate for the requirements and needs of each market.
- Collect and analyze key market and industry news to inform sales goals and develop strategies.
- Participate in industry and CIEE events, which may include international and annual meetings, as well as pre-departure and arrival orientations.
- Support launch of complementary products and programs for this student population.
- Manage the CRM database in Salesforce for the Academic Exchanges International Sales Team- ensure that the team effectively manages all international representative and participant leads in our centralized CRM.
- Perform additional tasks as required by the Senior Director.
Knowledge/Skills Requirements and Personal Characteristics:
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5 years extensive sales experience and staff management required
- Experience in educational sales required
- Experience living, studying, teaching and/or working abroad strongly preferred
- Ability to work across cultures and international borders
- Significant international travel required
- Experience managing leads and data in CRM systems required, Salesforce experience a plus
- Solid MS Office skills required
- Experience managing a budget and successfully reaching established sales goals
- High level of personal motivation – a “self-starter”
- Passion for sales
- Strong leader that can help the team grow and excel in their roles
- Influential in managing sales goals while being able to build necessary relationships for success
- Self-assured, composed, and professional
- Innovative and creative
- Strong team player who easily builds trust, collaborates across the organization, and sees the bigger picture
- Well-organized, detail oriented, and proactive
- Strong understanding of and experience with digital marketing trends and techniques
Lifting: 0-25 lbs
Frequency of lifting: infrequent
Typical business day: 9am-5pm
Additional Physical Demands
Ability to speak and listen on a telephone
Ability to type, and view a computer screen
Ability to bend and sort paperwork in a filing cabinet.
Visual, Hearing, Dexterity & Mental Demands
Adequate to perform the essential functions of the job such as using a telephone, answering emails, filing paperwork, viewing a computer screen, and operating office equipment.
- CIEE strives to lead a robust community of international program providers and sponsors through innovation, exemplary service, and exceptional efficiency. Our success depends on having the very best professionals. We are committed to recruiting and retaining
the best people in the industry, particularly those who are passionate about international education, are self-starters with high levels of energy and autonomy, and are dedicated to exceed expectations in every challenge. We foster excellence through tapping
the skills of a diverse workforce and promoting a dynamic environment where talented individuals of differing perspectives and cultural backgrounds work together to advance our mission. CIEE is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applications by ethnically diverse
and underrepresented groups are strongly encouraged.
||Send This Job to a Friend